RiverLink Nov. Bus Tour
November 1, 2018 @ 10:00 am – 1:00 pm
Old Wedge parking lot
37 Paynes Way
Asheville, NC 28801
Hosted by Leap Frog Tours, this tour will allow participants to learn about the history of Asheville’s riverfront & the mission of RiverLink.
Description and Details:
- Join us as we explore the history of the French Broad River and its seminal place in the development of Asheville–from the time when Native Americans lived along its banks to the Buncombe Turnpike, the railroad, and industries of yesteryear.
- We’ll also tell you how the river has changed since the days of George Vanderbilt, Thomas Wolfe, and when NASCAR greats Richard Petty and Junior Johnson raced cars in the area.
- We’ll progress to the 1950s when Wilma Dykeman asked “Who poisoned the river?” in her groundbreaking book, “The French Broad,” to the thriving River Arts District, the beautiful chain of parks along the riverfront greenway, and the recreational opportunities that abound today.
- Our tour showcases not only the river, but also the great work of the RiverLink organization and its many partners (government, corporations, civic, non-profit conservation groups, and individuals) that have worked together to protect, preserve, and enhance the riverfront area so that locals and visitors alike can enjoy its beauty and grandeur.
- If you like history and you appreciate environmental sustainability, this tour is for you.
- PLEASE NOTE: Along the way, we’ll make a stop at a brewery and a restaurant for a bite to eat if you choose. (Note: Any food and/beverage purchases are not included in your ticket price.)
What to Know
- Tours meet at the front of the parking lot of the original Wedge Brewing Co., across the railroad tracks from the RiverLink office. The address is 37 Paynes Way, Asheville, NC 28801. Please arrive 15 minutes before the start of your tour.
- For other pick-up/drop-off locations, dates and times, please call (828) 246-6777 to check pricing and availability.
- A portion of the ticket price is donated to RiverLink to support their efforts to protect and enhance the French Broad River.
- Our tours operate with a 6 person minimum. We mix and match groups to reach this minimum but in the case that you are scheduled for a tour that hasn’t reached 6 people we will call you to reschedule. Thank you for understanding.
- For a private (minimum 2 people) or semi-private (minimum 4 people) experience, please call (828) 246-6777 for pricing.